Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Confessions Of A Junk Food Kid

My Story

       I'm just your average American girl living in a world where food is abundant and saying no isn't always a choice. I've always struggled with food. If it's yummy I want it in my tummy. I can remember moments when food brought people together. It is a constant source of feeling like you are a part of something. Think about it, you're at a party...food. You finally get a break from class and you want to unwind....food. You just get home from work and you need a moment to your self... food. When there is food there are people to share in it. "Hey, after class want to grab a bite to eat?" "Ugh, I'm so frustrated with work right now. Wanna get some pizza?" Food brings people together for the good and the bad. It is a permanent crutch in my life. 

       Growing up we ate a lot. We were dirt poor but somehow there was always ton of food to go around. With every meal at home I never once remember feeling  hungry afterwards. When you're young that's what you want. You want this never ending treasure trove of food. I didn't know then what that was doing to my body or how it would affect me later in life. 

      As an adult I have learned some things about what I thought food brought me. I thought food brought me people. Everyone is always up for grabbing a bite to eat. It gave me that sense of community that I enjoy. I find comfort in people but I thought I needed the food to get the people. I didn't know any better. Now I am trying to make steps to replace the food with activities that allow me to still have that sense of community. This blog is the first step. I hope others who struggle with food, weight loss, life choices and so many other ailments that food brings them can join in together to build a community of people, of supporters. I'm joining groups that are non food related like a Zumba class. I hope to join other groups in the near future. 

Who Am I?

     I am a 29 year old female living in North Carolina. I am working on my Masters in Professional Counseling. I have some hobbies like Geocaching. It's like an adult scavenger hunt. It's really fun and takes you to places you otherwise would not have gone to. I am also a novice couponer. With going to school and working part time I needed to find something that can help me save money on things I already buy. I am also a, lets just say, short distance traveler. I primarily go places between NC and FLA. I want to take I95 up the coast to Maine and find a geocache in every state on the Atlantic. I have a beautiful almost 3 year old beagle named Eterno. He is a crazy one but he's mine. I live with my brother and with his help I am growing vegetables and gardening. I am just your average chick trying to figure out her life. Not much to it but to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment